Finding your dream home in the Dominican Republic can reap many blessings or regrets. Prior to choosing your ideal home it will be advantageous to ask yourself the following questions:
1. Which neighborhoods are better?
2. Would it be better to live in an apartment or a house?
3. Is it furnished?
4. Does it have an invertor (back-up electricity)?
5. Is the home or apartment secure (difficult to break into)?
6. Will you need an AC or will a fan be sufficient?
7. How far is the nearest grocery store or restaurant?
8. How much does it cost to take a bus or taxi from and to Santo Domingo or the closest international airport?
9. What safe means of transportation are available? (In small cities the common means of transportation are moto-taxis.)
10. Which areas should I avoid?
11. Is it safe to walk at night?
12. Where is the closest ATM/ bank?
13. If renting first, how many months of security deposit are needed? (typically 2 + first month's rent in a one year lease)
14. What type of visa and/or residency do I need to remain legal in the Dominican Republic during my stays?
You may need a person or persons you can trust who speaks your language and is familiarized with the areas you are looking into. There are also a number of Facebook Community pages where you can pose questions to participants who live in DR. Expat.com, DR1.com and similar forums also have a wealth of knowledge that has already been posted about a plethora of topics. I hope these questions will be useful to you.